top of page

NHS continuing healthcare funding

What is NHS continuing healthcare (CHC) funding?

Most people’s social care is arranged and paid for by their local authority. However, some people with long-term complex health needs can get social care arranged and paid for by the NHS.

This is called continuing healthcare.

A team of healthcare professionals will look at your care needs and decide whether or not you are entitled to CHC funding.

How can I find out more?

There’s lots of information available on the internet so we won’t repeat it here.

Here are 3 resources we find useful:

NHS webpage about CHC

Age UK Factsheet

A short YouTube video by NHS England

How can The Advocacy People help?

If you are unhappy with the CHC process or a decision which has already been made, you can get support from an Independent Health Complaints Advocate.

There is no charge for this service.

You can check if we offer this service in your area on our map or the list of areas we work in. If we don’t provide the service, someone else will.

To make a referral for you or someone else, visit our Make a referral section.

Our advocates will:

  • take time to understand your situation

  • provide information and help you understand it

  • help you decide what you want to achieve by making a complaint or challenging the decision

  • help you understand the process

  • explore your options at every stage

  • help you decide what you want to do and how you want to do it

  • act on your direction if you don’t feel able to take action yourself

  • help you write letters to the right people

  • go with you to meetings about your complaint/challenge.

Our advocates won’t:

  • investigate your situation or any part of your care and treatment

  • make any decisions for or about you

  • tell you what to do or give any legal or other advice.

Our advocacy services are independent from the NHS.

bottom of page