top of page

Understanding how to make a complaint about Local Authority Adult Social Care

Who can make a complaint?

You can make a complaint on behalf of yourself or on behalf of someone else


You can make a complaint for yourself if you have any concerns about:


  • a service that you/they receive or received

  • a member of staff

  • a volunteer


And it is in relation to care, or services that have been provided or paid for by Local Authority Adult Social Care, including via direct payment or an individual budget.

This includes residential or nursing home, personal care or support to live independently at home:

  • That has not met the standards you/they expected

  • Where decisions or actions of these services or organisations has affected you/them or will affect you/them


You can make a complaint on behalf of someone else if they are unable to make the complaint themselves because they:

  • lack capacity

  • have mental or physical health issues

  • have requested your help to act for them

  • have died

If making a complaint on the behalf of someone else, you must gain their consent.


If the person is deemed to lack capacity to bring a complaint you can do so if it is in their best interests.


If making a complaint for someone who has died, you are able to be their representative as long as it is deemed that you have had sufficient interest in the welfare of the deceased person.


What can you complain about?


Complaints can include when services or decisions that have caused problems for you or for the person you are complaining on behalf of, such as issues with:


  • Fees and charges

  • Delays

  • Safety or safeguarding

  • Poor quality or lack of care

  • Needs assessments/care and support plans/reviews

  • Carer's assessments/Carer’s support plans/reviews

  • Errors left unchecked or uncorrected

  • Giving out misleading information

  • Poor quality communication

bottom of page