top of page

Attending a meeting

Local Resolution Meeting

A Local Resolution meeting can be held at different stages of the complaints process but more often takes place when you are not happy with the written response. These meetings are often the last opportunity to resolve a complaint before it may progress to the Parliamentary and Health Services Ombudsman (PHSO).

A LRM gives you the opportunity to discuss issues face-to-face with the NHS organisation. A meeting is not instead of a written response. You can take a friend, relative or advocate with you to any meetings you may have.

It may be helpful to prepare a list of questions you want to ask at your meeting and bring this with you; try to keep these questions clear and concise. It is also helpful to take any relevant paperwork with you to the meeting. Your advocate can help you with this preparation.

Recording the meeting

A formal record of the meeting should be made by the organisation complained about; it can be in writing and/or an audio or video recording. It does not need to be word for word.

The record must meet the principles of GDPR and the Data Protection Act 2018, which include making sure the record has all the important information and is right. For more information, take a look at the ICO website.

You can make your own record of the meeting if you wish. This can be in writing, audio or video recording. Any information you record is confidential to you. It would be polite to let the other attendees know of your intention to record the meeting beforehand, but you do not need to disclose this.

Conciliation and Mediation services

Sometimes the NHS uses Conciliation or Mediation services. A conciliator/mediator is a neutral and independent person who can arrange a meeting with you and those involved (either separately or together) so you can all give your views and try to resolve your differences. A conciliator will only become involved if everyone agrees; the conciliation process is confidential.

Conciliation and Mediation Services differ from Trust to Trust so if this is offered you should ask the Complaints Manager to explain how it operates in their area.

bottom of page