top of page

Independent Mental Health Advocacy


Support for people who are under section in a hospital, secure unit or in the community.

How can The Advocacy People help?

Being under section can be an uncertain time. It means that there are things you can and can’t do, you might have new treatments and other people have certain rights to make decisions about you.

An advocate can help you understand your rights and help you get answers to your questions. They can attend meetings with you and speak to people on your behalf. ​ We have a factsheet which tells you more about what we do. Click here to see the factsheet. To find out if we provide this service in your area, have a look at our map here. ​ If we don’t provide the service, there will be someone else who does.

Who can refer?

You can refer yourself or ask someone to do it for you. This could be a family member, a friend, or a health or social care professional.

bottom of page