top of page

Children & Young Persons Advocacy


Someone on your side.

How can The Advocacy People help?

You have as much right as an adult to be listened to when decisions are being made about your life. What you feel and want is very important.

You can usually have an advocate to help you speak up about what you feel and want if you:

  • Are a Child in Care

  • Are leaving Care

  • Have a disability or other need

  • Are a young carer

  • Want to make a complaint about your social care


You might be able to have an advocate in other situations – this will depend where you live. If you want to find out more, get in touch, our details are at the bottom of this page.

What does an advocate do?

An advocate:

  • Listens to you

  • Explains information

  • Finds out your wishes and feeling

  • Helps you tell others what you want or tells them for you, if you want the advocate to do this

  • Gets answers to your questions

  • Won’t tell you what to do

  • Is independent which means they won’t make any decisions about or for you

How can I get help from an advocate?

Most of the time, an adult will ask you if you want an advocate and get in touch with us.

But if you want to get in touch yourself, you can by using the details below.

To find out if we provide this service in your area, have a look at our map here.

Independent Visitors

If you are a child or young person in care, you might be able to have the support of an Independent Visitor. This is an adult who will take an interest in your life, take you out to do different activities and support you with advice and practical help.

Most of the time, an adult will ask you if you want an Independent Visitor and get in touch with the service. If you are in the care of Southampton City Council you can get in touch with us yourself by clicking on the Contact Us link in the top right of this page.

bottom of page