Independent Health Complaints Advocacy (IHCA)

Supporting you if you have not had the service you expected from a service provided or paid for by the NHS

How can The Advocacy People help?

If you are unhappy with the service you, or someone else, has received from the NHS, you have the right to raise your concerns about it.

If you decide to make a complaint, you should do so within 12 months of the incident you are complaining about. Or within 12 months of you realising how what happened has affected you.

In certain circumstances the NHS will sometimes look at complaints that are outside of these timescales but they do not have to do so.

If you would like to make the complaint yourself, or have started the process already, we have some Factsheets to help you. You can find these on the right.

If you would like the support of an advocate, have a look at our Factsheet by clicking here, which tells you what an advocate can do.

To find out if we provide this service in your area, have a look at our map here

If we don’t provide the service in your area, there will be someone else who does.

Who can refer?

Anyone can make a complaint about their NHS care.

If they are not able to do this themselves, someone else can do it for them.

Usually we will need the person’s consent, but we understand that sometimes this isn’t possible.

If you are under 16, and you can show you are able to make up your own mind about NHS treatment or care, you can refer yourself. We hope you will chat with your parents or someone you trust when making a complaint, but you can choose not to.