Independent Mental Health Advocacy

​For people who are under section in hospital or the community

How can The Advocacy People help?

Being under section can be an uncertain time. It means that there are things you can and can’t do, you might have new treatments and other people have certain rights to make decisions about you.

An advocate can help you understand your rights and help you get answers to your questions. They can attend meetings with you and speak to people on your behalf.

We have a factsheet which tells you more about what we do.

Click here to see the factsheet.


To find out if we provide this service in your area, have a look at our map here.

If we don’t provide the service, there will be someone else who does.

Who can refer?

You can refer yourself or ask someone to do it for you. This could be a family member, a friend, or a health or social care professional.

"we help you understand your rights and help you get answers"

Don't forget...

You can print this page by using your browser's print options.

Refer to us

For more information you can:

Call us on 0330 440 9000

Email us at

To make a referral:

Please complete and return the form found here:

The form can be returned by email to or posted to the address below.


PO Box 375, Hastings, East Sussex, TN34 9HU

0330 440 9000

Text 80800, starting message with PEOPLE

©2020 by The Advocacy People

Charity No. 1080679

Company No. 3963421