Community, Peer and Citizen’s Advocacy

General advocacy support in and from the community

How can The Advocacy People help?

Sometimes the decisions you have to make about your health and social care aren’t covered by the statutory advocacy services. Statutory advocacy is advocacy that the law says every area must have.


In some areas you might be able to get support from:

Community Advocates (sometimes called General Advocates) if you have a disability or are in a situation where you feel vulnerable and unable to speak up. It includes Community Mental Health Advocacy and Learning Disability Advocacy.

Peer Advocates who are people who have ‘lived experience’. This means they might have the same disability or have been through a situation similar to you.

Citizen Advocates who support people for a much longer time than other advocates. It is a partnership between the advocate and the person and usually lasts for as long as both want it to.

To find out if we provide this service in your area, have a look at our map here.

Who can refer?

This depends on where you live and your circumstances. Different areas have different services and criteria. Use the details below to get in touch.

"someone on your side."

Don't forget...

You can print this page by using your browser's print options.

Refer to us

For more information you can:

Call us on 0330 440 9000

Email us at

To make a referral:

Please complete and return the form found here:

The form can be returned by email to or posted to the address below.


PO Box 375, Hastings, East Sussex, TN34 9HU

0330 440 9000

Text 80800, starting message with PEOPLE

©2020 by The Advocacy People

Charity No. 1080679

Company No. 3963421